Assumption (epistemologically) - mathematics as result of human problem posing and solving
- mathematics as a mental construction (creation, invention or
In term of learning, social constructivism identifies all learners of mathematics as creators of mathematics involving problem posing and solving.
Therefore as a consequences of problem posing and solving pedagogy :
1. School maths for all should be centrally concerned with mathematical problem posing and solving
(reduce content- oriented mathematics curriculum)
2. Inquiry, investigation, problem posing or formulation should occupy a central place in the school
maths curriculum and precedes problem solving
3. The pedagogy (teaching, learning and assessment) should be process and inquiry(or investigation)
focused (vs product)
4. learner-centered view of investigation as a learner directed activities (new questions posed, new
situations are generated and explored- promotes active learning)
5. Increase learner autonomy and self- regulation ( develop reflective and meta-cognitive skills)
Mathematical problem posing (formulation, investigation etc) is divergent (creative thinking and higher order thinking) as the process of mathematical problem solving (critical thinking and higher order thinking - eg by using Polya method)) is convergent.